Undergraduate Application Checklist and Requirements
You will need to submit the last three years of your secondary school records along with your completed undergraduate application. If your school records are in a language other than English, you will also need to include a certified translation.
All students admitted to AUM are required to have completed 12 years of schooling and to have a minimum cumulative grade average of 80 or its equivalent.
Common secondary education certificates that AUM accepts are:
- American style high school diploma or certificate
- AP program
- British System combination of:
- GCSE/IGSCE "O" Levels: five subject exams with grades of A, B, C or D, and
- A/S or A Levels: three subject exams with grades of A, B, C or D
- Maltese System combination of:
- Matriculation Certificate, and
- Secondary Education Certificate (SEC) examinations in English language, Maltese and Mathematics*, and
- A/S or A Levels: three subjects exams with grades of A, B, C or D
- IB certificate
- Other school leaving certificate*
* If you do not see your school system listed here, send us your school records and diploma or school leaving certificate. We will be happy to access the grade equivalence for you.
AUM classes are taught in English and, as such, AUM requires demonstrated proficiency in the language. One of the following exams will meet this requirement and you will need to enter our school code to have the results sent directly to us.
- TOEFL You are able to have your scores sent directly to us by using our school code B757
AUM accepts the following minimum TOEFL scores: PBT 550 or above iBT 79-80 or above CBT 213 or above
AUM accepts a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or above
AUM accepts a minimum reading score of 18 and English score of 20
- SAT You are able to have your results sent directly to us by using our school code 7057
AUM accepts a minimum reading and writing score of 550
The English language proficiency requirement can be waived if you meet one or more of the following:
- You are a native speaker of English and you have completed your secondary education in an English medium institution in a country where English is the official language
- You are a student admitted to an institution in which English is the language of instruction and have graduated
AUM reserves the right to request English test results from any applicant.
If you don’t quite meet our minimum English proficiency requirements, apply for our EAP Pathways Program designed to improve your English Academic Proficiency while you start taking courses towards your AUM degree.
Include a photocopy of your passport along with your application and supporting materials. If you are a Maltese citizen, a copy of your National ID will suffice.
In order to get to know you and your personal and academic goals better, we will arrange a Video Interview with our Admissions Team.
AUM charges a €50 non-refundable application fee. This can be paid using bank transfer, credit card, PayPal or other money transferring systems. Our Admissions Team will send you more information after you submit your completed application.
The American University of Malta is offering several merit-based scholarships to undergraduate applicants. All applicants are automatically considered for the scholarship when they submit their completed application.
*Note: if a pass in Maltese, and/or English, and/or Mathematics is obtained within the Matriculation Certificate, either at Advanced or at Intermediate Level, a pass in such subjects in the SEC examination is not required.