Undergraduate Application Checklist and Requirements
You will need to submit the last three years of your secondary school records along with your completed undergraduate application. If your school records are in a language other than English, you will also need to include a certified translation.
Common secondary education certificates that AUM accepts are:
- American style high school diploma or certificate.
- AP program.
- British System combination of:
- GCSE/IGSCE "O" Levels: five subject exams with grades of A, B, C or D, and
- A/S or A Levels: three subject exams with grades of A, B, C or D
- Maltese System combination of:
- Matriculation Certificate, and
- Secondary Education Certificate (SEC) examinations in English language, Maltese and Mathematics*, and
- A/S or A Levels: three subjects exams with grades of A, B, C or D
- IB certificate
- Other school leaving certificate*
Please note: If you do not see your school system listed here, send us your school records and diploma or school leaving certificate. We will be happy to access the grade equivalence for you.
AUM classes are taught in English and, as such, AUM requires demonstrated proficiency in the language.
- IELTS - Minimum of 6.5 for Engineering degrees and 6.0 for Business and Art degrees.
- TOEFL - You are able to have your scores sent directly to us by using our school code B757.
AUM accepts the following minimum TOEFL scores: PBT 550 or above iBT 79-80 or above CBT 213 or above.
- ACT - AUM accepts a minimum reading score of 18 and English score of 20.
- SAT - You are able to have your results sent directly to us by using our school code 7057.
AUM accepts a minimum reading and writing score of 550.
The English language proficiency requirement can be waived if you meet one or more of the following:
- You are a native speaker of English and you have completed your secondary education in an English medium institution in a country where English is the official language.
- You are a student admitted to an institution in which English is the language of instruction and have graduated.
AUM reserves the right to request English test results from any applicant.
Please note: For students who do not meet the English proficiency requirement, conditional acceptance can be offered to our English for Academic Purposes Program Program designed to improve student's English academic proficiency before entering their degree.
You must submit a photocopy of your passport along with your application and supporting materials.
Please note: If you are a Maltese citizen, ayou are able to submit a copy of your National ID.
In order to get to know you and your personal and academic goals better, we will arrange an admissions interview after our admissions team has reviewed your application.
AUM charges a €50 non-refundable application fee.
Please note: AUM is currently waiving the application fee for academic year 2019-2020.
The American University of Malta is offering several merit-based scholarships to undergraduate applicants. All applicants are automatically considered for the scholarship when they submit their completed application.
*Note: if a pass in Maltese, and/or English, and/or Mathematics is obtained within the Matriculation Certificate, either at Advanced or at Intermediate Level, a pass in such subjects in the SEC examination is not required.