Student Visa

(Applicable to non-Maltese citizens and non-residents)

As part of your application process to join one of our programs at AUM, you are required to obtain a student visa. The conditions underlying your visa vary depending on whether you are applying from an EU Member State or from a non-EU/EEA country.

AUM offers assistance with obtaining your visa at every step of the way. However, it is also advisable that you contact the local Maltese embassy, consulate, or visa application center. Where none of the above are available locally, Austrian, Italian, or Spanish embassies have the authority to issue a visa valid for Malta.

EU and Non-EU Nationals

EU nationals staying in Malta for more than three months require a visa. Applying through a Maltese embassy, consulate, or visa application center will give EU students a visa valid for one year, which must be renewed after that. When applying through an Austrian, Italian, or Spanish embassy, the visa issued will be valid for 90 days.

Non-EU/EEA nationals will need a visa regardless of the length of their stay. We recommend applying for a Schengen visa. More information about non-EU/EEA applications can be found here

An updated list of embassies, consulates, and visa application centers can be found here.

Student Visa Application Checklist

The list of all documents needed and other application information can be found here. The list has also been included hereunder for ease of reference.

  • Application form (completed)
  • Passport/Travel Document (updated)
  • Student Status Letter (obtained from AUM)
  • Proof of Travel Insurance
  • Proof of Travel Plans (booked before applying for visa)
  • Proof of Accommodations
  • Proof of Financial Means (a minimum of €30 per day; traveler's checks, bank statements and/or pay slips from the last three months)
  • Schengen Visa application fee (varies according to country. Please check through Embassy website)
  • Self-Addressed Special Delivery Envelope (for the Embassy to send you back your passport and other documents)
  • Photocopies of all documents (included with originals when applying)

e-Residence Permit

Students staying longer than 90 days need to apply for an e-Residence Permit. All applications must be submitted before the 90 days expire. Information about the e-Residence Permit can be found here, while detailed information for non-EU applicants can be found here.

Please note that laws and regulations pertaining to visas are subject to change. For updated information, you are advised to contact the embassy, consulate, or visa application center. Otherwise, you may refer to the Identity Malta website.